TAIPEI, Taiwan, May 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Chunghwa Telecom Co., Ltd. (TAIEX: 2412, NYSE: CHT) ("Chunghwa" or "the Company") today reported its unaudited operating results for the first quarter of 2013. All figures were prepared in accordance with Taiwan-International Financial Reporting Standards ("T-IFRSs") on a consolidated basis.
(Comparisons, unless otherwise stated, are to the prior year period)
First Quarter 2013 Financial Highlights
- Total net revenue increased by 2.1% to NT$56.63 billion
- Mobile communications revenue increased by 9.1% to NT$27.90 billion
- Mobile value-added services (VAS) revenue increased by 42.2% to NT$6.49 billion
- Handset sales revenue increased by 17.1% to NT$9.13 billion
- Internet revenue decreased by 2.7% to NT$6.02 billion
- Domestic fixed communications revenue decreased by 5.9% to NT$18.05 billion
- International fixed communications revenue increased by 4.8% to NT$3.82 billion
- Total operating costs and expenses increased by 3.1% to NT$45.39 billion
- Net income totaled NT$9.14 billion, representing a 4.7% decrease
- Basic earnings per share (EPS) was NT$1.18
Dr. Yen-Sung Lee, Chairman and CEO of Chunghwa Telecom, commented, "In the first quarter this year, we were able to deliver exceptional results. Specifically, we increased our mobile market share by adding over 388,000 mobile internet subscribers quarter over quarter and increased our mobile data revenue by 42.2% year over year, which was the most among the major telecom operators. In terms of our broadband internet business, we experienced over 81.9% year-over-year growth in the number of subscribers opting for fiber offerings with speeds of 50Mbps and higher. Given these results, we remain confident that our strategy continues to prove successful for Taiwan's evolving telecom market.""Looking ahead, Chunghwa Telecom will be focusing its growth effort in three major areas. Firstly, we are focused on expanding our core CT telecom services, including fixed broadband, mobile internet and voice services. Secondly, we aim to broaden our ICT and value-added services which are developed on top of our backbone and include corporate ICT solutions, cloud computing services, MOD as well as various mobile value-added services. Lastly, we will continue assessing future overseas business and investment opportunities that can leverage our core strengths. We firmly believe that this strategy will enable us to expand upon our solid foundation for continuous and sustainable growth going forward."