PHOENIX, May 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Warm weather and summer sun are sure signs that the much-anticipated moving season is about to kick into high gear. With the busy moving season quickly approaching, these helpful tips from U-Haul are sure to come in handy.
U-Haul, the #1 choice for do-it-yourself movers since 1945, has developed some great ways to help people save money and make moving easier.Suggestions and tips for do-it-yourself movers:
- Plan your move in advance. Since nearly 45 percent of all moves occur between Memorial Day and Labor Day, make your reservation at least two to four weeks prior to your moving date. Make your reservation now by visiting uhaul.com.
- Avoid the weekend rush. Typically, Sunday through Thursday offers greater equipment availability, plus banks, utilities and government offices are open. In addition, rates may be lower during this time.
- Prior to your move, stop by or contact your neighborhood U-Haul moving and storage center to get help with selecting boxes and packing supplies, or check out the U-Haul Online Packing Planner at uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/PackingPlanner.pdf.
- Allow time for the rental process and be sure to conduct a walk-around inspection of the equipment at the time of pickup to become familiar with its features and operation, and to ask any questions you may have.
- Read the equipment user's guide for tips on driving and safety.
- Monitor the equipment while it is in your possession, just as your would your own personal vehicle.
- Don't want to drive a truck? Then check out U-Box portable moving and storage.
- Take advantage of the U-Haul 30-day free-storage offer with every one-way move.
- U-Haul customers can save money while helping to preserve the environment. Looking for FREE boxes? Check out the Take A Box/Leave A Box display at all U-Haul locations.
- Plan ahead. Make your reservations as far in advance as possible.
- Pack your boxes "strategically." Choose a "packing room" ahead of time and box up a few things each day. Mark each box with its contents and destination room. Have all your boxes packed before you go to rent your truck. Load the heaviest items first, in front and on the floor. Pack items firmly and closely.
- The last thing you want is the expense of having your personal belongings damaged. Protect your items by using the proper moving supplies, such as U-Haul packing peanuts, which are 100 percent biodegradable, bubble wrap or U-Haul furniture pads made from recycled denim.
- Not planning ahead. Waiting until the last minute to reserve a truck or trailer.
- Not packing their boxes ahead of time.
- Not making arrangements at their destination for unloading help. Learn more by visiting www.movinghelp.com.
- Always secure the back door of the moving van or trailer with a padlock.
- Always make sure your doors are locked.
- Always park your rental equipment legally and in a well-lit area.
- Back up your rental equipment as close as possible to a garage door, building or wall, and if you can, park another vehicle in front of the rental truck.
- When parking your vehicle at a hotel, we recommend that you park your equipment close to entry doors and, again, try to park in a well-lit area, making sure the equipment is locked.
- When parking your vehicle at a restaurant, make sure the doors are locked, the back door of the moving van is locked and then park it where you can see if from the window.
- Prior to moving, look into your homeowner's insurance policy, as some policies will cover belongings while moving as long as the insurance policy is in force during the move.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV