NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With the average price of attending a wedding on a steep uphill climb, there's no guarantee nuptial attendees will have enough money left in their bank account to make it home from chapel, let alone the reception hall.
American Express Spending & Saving Tracker, released Monday, has some news on wedding invites that might induce sticker shock up and down a loving couple's guest list.
The tracker shows that 69 million Americans will attend a wedding this year, and that each can expect to spend 59% more doing so than they did last year.
The average wedding guest will pay $539 for the occasion, with the top three expenditures being:
- $167 toward travel
- $161 for clothes and accessories
- $108 for the newlyweds' gift
But if you're with the rest of the planet in these harsh economic times, you may want to check your bank account before you check the "attending" box on that wedding invite you just got.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV