This article originally appeared on April 29, 2013 on Real Money. To read more content like this + see inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar portfolio for FREE. Click Here NOW.
The action in energy's incredible.
You get one strong day in oil and the group goes crazy. Check out the action in the most-levered-to-oil players: EOG (EOG) up 3 and Continental Resources (CLR) up $1.95 just out of nowhere. These stocks are just coiled springs and every time they come in they have to be bought. I would love to buy them in deep-in-the-money calls.
Meanwhile, the action in the coal-related rails is incredible. Last week on "Mad Money" we heard AEP CEO Nick Akins saying that his company is actively switching to coal because natural gas has gotten too high. That's why Norfolk Southern (NSC) has now run 20 points. What a run. Makes you want to speculate on Peabody (BTU) but, alas, that's a China play and you sure don't want to play China.Meanwhile, the natural gas stocks, led by Southwestern (SWN), which bought some assets from Chesapeake (CHK) don't want to quit, despite the switching. The group is incredibly strong. These moves are broad and powerful. They are dazzling because they can't be occurring with some economic strength, although one could argue that once again everything's being priced off the oil futures and the oil futures are going higher because of that old correlation to the weaker dollar. No matter, the group, including the drillers and service companies, has been biding its time. Now it seems, at last, like it's happening. I would not overthink it. The Philly Oil Service Sector (OSX) is the right way to play it. At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, has no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV