Microsoft shipped nearly 900,000 units in the first quarter of 2013, according to IDC, but given the hype surrounding the Microsoft Surface that has to be considered something of a disappointment. Rumors of smaller Windows-based tablets may not help, given the largely disappointing consumer sentiment towards Windows 8.
It's clear Apple, vis-a-vis the iPad, is dominating the tablet market, both in unit sales, and market share. For how long is anybody's guess, but as long as consumers see the benefits of Apple's ecosystem and the beauty, elegance and ease of use of the iPad, it'll continue to outweigh the competition. And by a country mile.
-- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York>Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV