ADVISORY, May 1, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- U.S. stocks continue to advance during earnings season, taking cues from European and Asian markets, which are being helped along by expectations of a European Central Bank interest rate cut following the release of sluggish economic data. As the market moves to new highs, dividend paying stocks in the U.S. are in demand due to low interest rates.The NASDAQ US Dividend Achievers Select Index (DVG) rose 0.8% for the week and is up 11.6% year-to-date.
"Stocks continue to perform well despite concerns about revenue growth in the U.S. and softness in Europe. Easy money policies are fueling demand for shares both here and abroad. The markets were led this week by technology and telecom stocks," said Dave Gedeon, Managing Director, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes.
|TOP WEEKLY INDEX MOVERS (+ / - )|
|TOP 5 EQUITY INDEXES:||4/30/13|
|NASDAQ OMX CEA SMARTPHONE INDEX (QFON)||+4.5%|
|NASDAQ CHINA INDEX (NQCN)||+4.1%|
|NASDAQ ASIA PACIFIC INDEX (NQASPA)||+3.6%|
|OMX STOCKHOLM INDEX (OMXSBGI)||+3.4%|
|PHLX SEMICONDUCTOR INDEX (SOX)||+3.3%|
|TOP 5 COMMODITY INDEXES:||4/30/13|
|PHLX GOLD AND SILVER INDEX (XAU)||+6.9%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CORN INDEX (NQCICER)||+5.9%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY SILVER INDEX (NQCISIER)||+5.8%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CRUDE OIL INDEX(NQCICLER)||+4.8%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY PRECIOUS METALS INDEX (NQCIPMER)||+4.8%|
Other Notable Index Moves This Week
- Investors will be watching the European Central Bank decision on interest rates. Although a cut in rates at Thursday's meeting would be a surprise, some investors believe the growth and inflation statistics are supportive of future action. Watch the NASDAQ Europe Index (NQEU), post announcement.
- U.S. Productivity and Jobless Claims will be among the data releases this week. The NASDAQ US Benchmark Index (NQUSB) might be an indicator of a broad market move.
- The Markets will be looking for a positive change in non-farm payrolls on Friday. A move among mid-cap larger companies can be tracked using the NASDAQ 450 Index (NQUSM450).
CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 firstname.lastname@example.org Chauntez Wilson Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5415 email@example.com Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV