CHARLOTTE, N.C., May 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Many households have them: The 20-year-old freezer in the garage that's seldom used, or that old clunker of a refrigerator collecting dust – and using lots of energy – in the basement.
"The potential to save money and energy – and even earn extra cash – can be found in recycling outdated, secondary refrigerators and freezers that are in working condition located throughout your home," said John Langston, program manager for Duke Energy's appliance recycling program.
Unplugging and properly disposing of these energy-hogging dinosaurs through recycling can save money, reduce energy demand and environmental impact, and possibly delay the need for Duke Energy to build new power plants:
- The technology inside old refrigerators and freezers is often so outdated it requires three times more electricity to operate compared to newer models.
- Unplugging and properly recycling old refrigerators and freezers can save up to $150 annually on a customer's energy bill.
- A 20-year-old refrigerator or freezer consumes up to 1,400 kilowatt-hours (kWh) annually; a new refrigerator or freezer consumes between 400-500 kWh annually.
- The avoidance of carbon dioxide emissions as a result of recycling 25,000 refrigerators is equal to removing 50,000 cars from the road for a year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV