Here's the why Buffett is banking on a flat share price for IBM in coming years.
As of Berkhsire's 2011 shareholder letter, IBM had roughly 1.16 billion shares, 63.9 million of which are owned by Buffett in a 5.5% shareholding, at the time.
Buffett expected the value of his investment to rise significantly as the company conducts its five-year, $50 billion share repurchase program.
Under the program, if IBM shares were to languish at prices around $200, which they have, IBM will buy back about 250 million shares, putting Buffett's stock ownership closer to 7%, as the company's share count shrinks to 910 million shares.But if IBM shares were to rise to say $300 a share, Buffet's stake would only be 6.5% on a share buyback of just 167 million shares. Of course, the benefit of owning shares -- regardless of buyback programs -- is contingent on a company's earnings prospects, and that's where Buffett's strategy kicks in. If IBM were to earn $20 billion in the year its buyback expires, and its shares are still trading at $200, Buffett said Berkshire's share of the earnings will be $100 million more than if shares trade at $300. "At some later point our shares would be worth perhaps $1.5 billion more than if the 'high-price' repurchase scenario had taken place," wrote Buffett of the impact to Berkshire's earnings. "If you are going to be a net buyer of stocks in the future, either directly with your own money or indirectly (through your ownership of a company that is repurchasing shares), you are hurt when stocks rise. You benefit when stocks swoon," wrote Buffett in the 2011 letter. So far, Buffett's analysis and his expectations have been remarkably accurate. Berkshire's economic interest in IBM has grown materially as the company repurchased shares through 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV