I sold because I thought it overpriced, but it hasn't seen that price since then. It's now at $250, and TheStreet's Robert Weinstein says the next time I see that $230 price, it'll be going down, down, down to stay.
Maybe. Any growth story is harder to sustain as numbers get bigger. As they get bigger they get serious and leave their marks everywhere. On the land, on government, on the public mind.
How about those retail sales? Take the $19 billion off the current market cap of $113 billion and you're paying $94 billion for $15.4 billion in first-quarter sales. (Take out those cloud revenue, remember.) That's still a gain of 20% from last year's first quarter. Maintain that momentum for a full year and you're looking at almost $75 billion in sales for 2013. Now, that still means you're paying $1.25 for each $1 of forward sales, which is almost double the 55 cents per $1 of 2012 sales you're paying for Wal-Mart, or the 47 cents for each $1 you pay for Costco (COST) revenue. But what else are you getting? A bigger moat, for one thing. As Amazon adds to its sales, it adds to its delivery infrastructure. It adds more warehouses, closer to customers. It adds more automation to those warehouses, it adds more data to its own data stores, and it adds more delivery infrastructure as well. Not just here, but everywhere. It should have 102 fully-automated warehouses around the world by this Christmas, according to Internet Retailer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV