WILMERDING, Pa., April 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Wabtec Corporation (NYSE: WAB) received an additional order to provide electronically controlled pneumatic (ECP) braking equipment for freight cars and locomotives operated by Rio Tinto, a leading international mining company, in Australia. The order, valued at about $15 million, includes equipment and software.
Previously, Wabtec received orders to provide ECP equipment for Rio Tinto to retrofit its fleet of iron ore freight cars and certain locomotives. Equipment under the new order is scheduled to be delivered during 2013.
"Heavy-haul railroads around the world have proven the advantages of electronic braking in commercial service," said Albert J. Neupaver, Wabtec's president and chief executive officer. "Continued investment in this technology demonstrates that railroads can deploy ECP to reduce cycle times and improve train handling, among other operational benefits."
With standard pneumatic brake equipment, the brakes are applied and released throughout the train sequentially, one car after another. ECP equipment uses an electronic signal to apply and release the brakes simultaneously throughout the train. As a result, ECP-equipped trains can operate safely at higher speeds with up to a 60 percent reduction in stopping distance. This leads to improved throughput and capacity, reduced wear on wheels, rails and brake shoes, and improved efficiency with a favorable return on investment.Wabtec Corporation ( www.wabtec.com) is a global provider of technology-based products and services for rail and other industrial markets. Through its subsidiaries, the company manufactures a range of products for locomotives, freight cars and passenger transit vehicles. The company also builds new switcher and commuter locomotives, and provides aftermarket services. The company has facilities located throughout the world. SOURCE Wabtec Corporation
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV