Spelling And Grammar Errors In Shop Signs Will Lose Small Businesses Customers, Survey Reveals
LONDON, April 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Survey of consumers reveals half put off making a purchase from a business with a spelling or grammar error in its sign or on its website
- Apostrophe Protection Society backs new campaign by SmallBusinessHeroes.co.uk to improve spelling and grammar in small business
- Campaign offers small businesses the opportunity to have sign text proofed for spelling and grammar errors for free
Nearly half of potential customers would be put off making a purchase because of a grammatical slip-up or spelling error in a shop's signs or on a website. Moreover such mistakes would cause the majority of consumers to question a small business owner's competence.
These are some of the findings of a survey commissioned by SmallBusinessHeroes.co.uk into the effects of poor grammar and spelling on small businesses, as part of a new campaign aiming to improve spelling and grammar in Britain's small business community.
The campaign has the backing of the Apostrophe Protection Society, which strives to preserve the correct use of this currently much abused punctuation mark. Chairman John Richards comments, "We would say that correct grammar is very important to a business of any size. A firm is judged, at first, on its presentation. Many people would think that if a company owner can't be bothered to use correct grammar or is too lazy to learn, then where else might they be found wanting?"The survey also revealed that:
- The misdemeanours most hated by consumers are spelling mistakes and the use of "text talk".
- 90 per cent of consumers surveyed believe that spelling and grammatical errors in small business signs or websites are "unacceptable".
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV