Spelling And Grammar Errors In Shop Signs Will Lose Small Businesses Customers, Survey Reveals
LONDON, April 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Survey of consumers reveals half put off making a purchase from a business with a spelling or grammar error in its sign or on its website
- Apostrophe Protection Society backs new campaign by SmallBusinessHeroes.co.uk to improve spelling and grammar in small business
- Campaign offers small businesses the opportunity to have sign text proofed for spelling and grammar errors for free
Nearly half of potential customers would be put off making a purchase because of a grammatical slip-up or spelling error in a shop's signs or on a website. Moreover such mistakes would cause the majority of consumers to question a small business owner's competence.
These are some of the findings of a survey commissioned by SmallBusinessHeroes.co.uk into the effects of poor grammar and spelling on small businesses, as part of a new campaign aiming to improve spelling and grammar in Britain's small business community.
The campaign has the backing of the Apostrophe Protection Society, which strives to preserve the correct use of this currently much abused punctuation mark. Chairman John Richards comments, "We would say that correct grammar is very important to a business of any size. A firm is judged, at first, on its presentation. Many people would think that if a company owner can't be bothered to use correct grammar or is too lazy to learn, then where else might they be found wanting?"The survey also revealed that:
- The misdemeanours most hated by consumers are spelling mistakes and the use of "text talk".
- 90 per cent of consumers surveyed believe that spelling and grammatical errors in small business signs or websites are "unacceptable".
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts