MIRAMAR, Fla., April 30, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Spirit Airlines, Inc. (Nasdaq:SAVE) today reported first quarter 2013 financial results.
- Adjusted net income for the first quarter 2013 was $32.8 million, or $0.45 per diluted share 1. GAAP net income was $30.6 million, or $0.42 per diluted share.
- For the first quarter 2013, Spirit achieved an operating margin, excluding special items, of 14.4 percent 1. Operating margin on a GAAP basis was 13.4 percent for the first quarter 2013.
- Spirit ended the first quarter 2013 with $483.5 million in unrestricted cash.
- Spirit grew total available seat miles ("ASMs") 20.8 percent as compared to the first quarter 2012.
- Spirit's return on invested capital (before taxes and excluding special items) for the last twelve months ended March 31, 2013 was 28.0 percent. See "Calculation for Return on Invested Capital" table below for more details.
"We are pleased to report strong first quarter results. Our team continues to do a great job delivering among the best results in the industry while offering our customers low base fares. Our average base fare per passenger segment in the first quarter 2013 was $79.09. Spirit is proud to offer extremely low base fares so that, even when adding in optional extras, the total price our customers pay is almost always less than what they would pay on other airlines," said Ben Baldanza, Spirit's President and Chief Executive Officer. "We are committed to our low-cost, low-fare strategy and to providing value for our customers and our shareholders."
Revenue PerformanceFor the first quarter 2013, Spirit's total operating revenue was $370.4 million, an increase of 22.9 percent, compared to first quarter 2012. Total revenue per available seat mile ("RASM") for the first quarter 2013 was 11.85 cents, an increase of 1.7 percent compared to the first quarter 2012 driven by strength in operating yields. The calendar shift of Easter occurring in March this year compared to April in 2012 contributed to the strong first quarter 2013 results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV