MCLEAN, Va., April 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Amanda Knox opened up to USA TODAY in an exclusive newspaper interview in today's print editions of USA TODAY and on USATODAY.com. "This is my way of speaking up for myself," Knox told USA TODAY Washington Bureau Chief Susan Page.
Page had the first sit down, face-to-face interview that Knox has ever done with a reporter. Knox's interview with USA TODAY fell just five days after an Italian court ruled Knox must face a re-trial. Despite the court's decision, Knox kept her interview.
Originally scheduled to talk about her memoir "Waiting to be Heard," which is being released today, Knox shared in-depth details of her life since returning to her hometown of Seattle, her time in prison, and her future to come. Knox exclusively revealed to USA TODAY her true feelings about going back to Italy for the re-trial, as well as her desire to see her slain roommate's grave and to reach closure.
The full story can be seen in today's print editions of USA TODAY or online at http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/30/amanda-knox-interview-retrial-italy/2121871/. Excerpts of the interview include:
- When asked whether she will return to Italy for her retrial, Knox stated, " My lawyers have said that I don't have to and that I don't need to. I'm still considering it, to be honest. It's scary, the thought. But it's also important for me to say 'This is not just happening far away and doesn't matter to me.' So, somehow, I feel it's important for me to convey that. And if my presence is what is necessary to convey that, then I'll go." In the same breath, she also noted that she wanted to weigh the risks involved first, and her lawyer subsequently has made it clear she won't return to Italy for the trial.
- In reference to the family of the victim, Knox got emotional, " It matters to me what Meredith's family thinks. It does affect me and the peace that I have inside." She went on to describe her intentions of reaching out to the victim's family and described what would be closure for her. " The ideal situation in my mind is that they could show me Meredith's grave. Because, it was like, I wasn't allowed to grieve either, and that would mean a lot to me."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV