GILLETTE, Wyo., April 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Peabody Energy Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gregory H. Boyce announced at the company's annual shareholders meeting that Peabody demonstrated strength and flexibility in responding to challenging market conditions in 2012.
Held in Gillette, Wyo., the meeting emphasized Peabody's leading position in the largest and lowest-cost U.S. coal region – Wyoming's Southern Powder River Basin. In 2012, Peabody shipped nearly 140 million tons of coal from the Powder River Basin to 90 power plants in 24 states, as well as customers in Asia, Europe and South America.
"In addition to completing the safest year in Peabody history, we achieved record revenues, record U.S. Adjusted EBITDA and record Australia volumes," Boyce said. "Our team continues to navigate changing markets, deliver safe low-cost operational performance and pursue cost containment initiatives and capital discipline."
Safety remains the company's core measure of performance, and Peabody delivered the best global safety results in its history in 2012, with an incidence rate of 1.82 per 200,000 work hours. This performance is 66 percent better than the industry average and reflects improvement in every region. Peabody built on this progress in the first quarter of 2013, achieving a 30 percent safety improvement when compared to the prior-year quarter.Additional highlights from 2012 include:
- In Australia, a record 33 million tons sold and integration of a major acquisition;
- More than 35 major honors for safety, corporate and environmental excellence and social responsibility in 2012. Among these accolades are the Global Energy Commodity Excellence Award for industry-leading performance and Mining Magazine's recognition of the North Antelope Rochelle Mine (NARM) as Mine of the Year, noting NARM's role as the world's largest and most productive surface operation; and
- Two Excellence in Surface Coal Mining Reclamation Awards, among the highest environmental honors presented by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV