- Change your passwords. If you use the same password across multiple websites, immediately reset your password at each of those sites. Keeping in mind that each account should have its own unique password, made up of numbers, letters and symbols. Never use publicly available information as part of your password. And the longer a password is, the harder it is to guess.
- Don't click on email links. Criminals will use phishing attempts to try to get you to disclose more personal information to help them further their attempts at committing potential identity fraud. Never open an email from an unknown sender and avoid downloading file attachments and clicking on embedded links.
- Verify a website is safe. It's always best to type out a website address instead of clicking on a link from an email, no matter how legitimate the email may look. Before submitting any personal information, be sure the webpage address begins with 'https' and look for the closed padlock symbol either in the address bar or in the bottom of the screen which indicates a secure connection.
- Monitor your financial statements. Even if your financial information was not part of the breach, be sure you monitor all of your financial documents for any suspicious activity and report it immediately as identity thieves could gain access to this information through other methods.
- Enroll in an identity monitoring service . Monitoring all areas for potential identity exposure can be both timely and overwhelming. Consider enrolling in a service like, Identity Guard® that can help you monitor activity related to your credit, public records, etc.
Identity Guard® Advises Consumers How To Take Extra Precaution Should Their Personal Information Become Compromised By A Company's Data Breach
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts