April 29, 2013
- Prof. Dr. Detlev H. Riesner, a QIAGEN co-founder and Chairman of the Supervisory Board, to stand for re-election for the last time at Annual General Meeting in June 2013
- Dr. Werner Brandt, a member of the Supervisory Board since 2007 and highly regarded healthcare and IT industry leader, under discussion to become Chairman in 2014
- Stéphane Bancel and Lawrence A. Rosen nominated as new Supervisory Board members; Erik Hornnaess and Heino von Prondzynski to not stand for re-election
QIAGEN N.V. (NASDAQ: QGEN; Frankfurt Prime Standard: QIA) today announced proposals for changes in the membership of the Supervisory Board that will be put forward for approval by shareholders at the next Annual General Meeting scheduled for
June 26, 2013
The proposals for the composition of the Supervisory Board, who are elected to one-year terms, were made by the Selection and Appointment Committee and recommended for shareholder approval by a Joint Meeting of the Supervisory Board and the Managing Board.
Detlev H. Riesner
, a co-founder of QIAGEN and Chairman of the Supervisory Board, has decided to stand for re-election for the last time at the Annual General Meeting in
. He has been a member of the Supervisory Board since 1996, and has served as Chairman since 1999. The Joint Meeting has discussed a proposal for Dr.
to succeed Professor Riesner as Chairman of the Supervisory Board in 2014 after he retires from his current position as a member of the Executive Board of SAP AG. Dr. Brandt, who has more than 30 years of leadership experience in the healthcare and IT industries, joined the Supervisory Board in 2007, and was also appointed in the same year as Chairman of the Audit Committee.
Two new members have been proposed for election to the Supervisory Board:
- Stéphane Bancel, 40, is President and Founding CEO of Moderna Therapeutics, Inc., a start-up biotechnology company based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, that is advancing multiple drug development programs involving messenger RNA therapeutics. Before joining Moderna, Bancel served for five years as CEO of the French diagnostics company bioMérieux SA. Prior to bioMérieux, he was Managing Director of Eli Lilly in Belgium and Executive Director of Global Manufacturing Strategy and Supply Chain at Eli Lilly in Indianapolis after having started at Lilly in Great Britain. Before joining Lilly, he served as Asia-Pacific Sales and Marketing Director for bioMérieux while based in Tokyo. He holds a Master of Engineering from École Centrale Paris (ECP), a Master of Science in Chemical Engineering from the University of Minnesota and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
- Lawrence A. Rosen, 55, is a member of the Board of Management and Chief Financial Officer of Deutsche Post DHL. In this position, which he has held since September 2009, Rosen is in charge of Controlling, Corporate Accounting and Reporting, Investor Relations, Corporate Finance, Corporate Internal Audit and Security, Taxes, as well as the Group's Global Business Services. Prior to joining Deutsche Post DHL, he served as the CFO of Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KGaA in Germany from 2003 to 2009. Prior to that, he worked for Aventis SA in Strasbourg, France, as Senior Vice President and Treasurer. Between 1984 and 2000, Rosen held different positions at the Aventis predecessor companies Hoechst AG and American Hoechst / Hoechst Celanese Inc. Rosen, who is a U.S. citizen, holds a Bachelor in Business Administration from the State University of New York and an MBA from the University of Michigan. He has agreed to stand for election as chair of the Audit Committee should Dr. Brandt (the current chairman of the Audit Committee) be elected as Chairman of the Supervisory Board.
Two members of the Supervisory Board - Mr.
and Mr. Heino von Prondzynski - have decided not to stand for re-election. Mr. Hornnaess has been a member of the Supervisory Board since 1998 and currently serves as Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Chairman of the Compensation Committee, Member of the Audit Committee and the Selection and Appointment Committee. Mr.
has been a member of the Supervisory Board since 2007 and also served as a Member of the Audit Committee.