10 Happiest Cities for Entry-Level Workers
Many recent college grads assume they should launch their careers where their family and friends are. But given the high unemployment rate, which cities offer the best opportunities? Where would young workers be happiest? CareerBliss, an employment site, studied this question by analyzing survey data from more than 4,000 entry-level workers throughout the country and came up with the 10 best cities.
The workers, who had less than two years' experience, were asked to assess 10 factors that affect happiness, such as work-life balance and growth opportunities, and assigned each factor up to five points. After the CareerBliss team analyzed the data, a cumulative score, known as the "BlissScore," was given to each city.
The results suggest that workers should look beyond the biggest cities, as small and medium-size cities are ranked higher. And entry level workers should not consider only salary. The highest-ranked city didn't offer the best pay.
See below for the Top 10, as well as the average salary for each city. 10. San Francisco Bliss Score: 3.81 Average Salary: $65,395 9. Atlanta Bliss Score: 3.83 Average Salary: $50,347 8. Washington D.C. Bliss Score: 3.85 Average Salary: $55,399 7. San Jose Bliss Score: 3.86 Average Salary: $70,477 6. Chicago Bliss Score: 3.86 Average Salary: $49,825
5. Seattle Bliss Score: 3.88 Average Salary: $57,619 4. Houston Bliss Score: 3.91 Average Salary: $49,750 3. Boston Bliss Score: 3.92 Average Salary: $58,745 2. San Diego Bliss Score: 3.96 Average Salary: $56,763 1. Miami Bliss Score: 4.04 Average Salary: $45,351
More From AOL Jobs New Grads: How To Get A Job Outside Your Major 10 High-Paying Entry-Level Jobs 9 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV