Minimum Wage Hike Heads To Minn. House Floor
By KYLE POTTER
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) â¿¿ Many Minnesota workers would get a pay hike, extra time to spend with newborns and recently adopted children and more overtime pay in the minimum wage bill that is headed to the House floor.
The House Ways and Means Committee approved legislation Monday that would increase Minnesota's floor wage in three steps until it hits $9.50 per hour in 2015. After that, it would increase automatically according to inflation. The measure also doubles the time new parents can take unpaid leave â¿¿ from six to 12 weeks â¿¿ and lowers the threshold at which most employers need to start paying overtime, from 48 hours to 40.
Republicans on the committee fought against those changes, which they said were not thoroughly vetted after being added over the weekend.Rep. Jim Abeler, R-Anoka, said the parental leave and overtime revisions would change "the minimum wage bill to a workplace reform bill that will make it tough on small business. They don't have the flexibility to handle workload changes." The bill is expected to come up for a full House floor vote by Friday. With Democrats in control of state government, some raise to the state's minimum wage has a good chance of becoming law this session. Minnesota last raised its minimum wage in 2005. At $6.15 an hour, it's one of just four states with a lower wage than the federal minimum of $7.25 per hour, though most state workers receive the federal wage. The House Democrat leading the push for the hike said time to tether the state's minimum wage to inflation so that another eight years don't pass before the next increase. "By creating an inflationary adjustment, we're actually giving business a much more predictable, smooth path," said Rep. Ryan Winkler, DFL-Golden Valley.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV