Former NBA star Magic Johnson isn't just another celebrity investor. He's actually an adviser and general partner at Detroit Venture Partners. The Michigan-based venture firm backs early and seed-stage technology investments. DVP recently participated in rounds for UpTo, Stik and Chalkfly.
Johnson was brought on board for his entrepreneurial experience and also his capital. Johnson said he wants "to have a positive impact on the biggest downtown in my home state. I believe strongly in the Detroit 2.0 movement."
Johnson also owns Magic Johnson Enterprises, which has invested in the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers (whom he played for), movie theaters and restaurants such as Burger King. He has also been a long-time advocate for HIV awareness.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV