Public awareness campaign aimed at reducing trespassing fatalities
MONTREAL, April 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - With trespassing being the leading cause of rail-related fatalities in Canada, CN (TSX: CNR) (NYSE: CNI) is marking Rail Safety Week through May 5, 2013, with a public awareness campaign stressing the deadly risks of trespassing on railway tracks and property. CN Police are urging the public to call CN Police at 1-800-465-9239 to report unsafe behaviour on railway property.
CN Police Chief Stephen Covey said: "Disobeying railway crossing signals or trespassing on railway property is dangerous and illegal. We cannot tolerate that individuals put their lives and those of others at risk. Through a combination of education and enforcement, we aim to change attitudes and behaviors towards rail safety. We must reduce injuries and fatalities on or near railway crossings, tracks, and CN property."
According to Operation Lifesaver (OL), a national public-rail safety program sponsored by Transport Canada and the Railway Association of Canada, crossing and trespassing incidents across the country are on the rise. In 2012, there were 261 railway crossing and trespasser accidents in Canada, including 78 fatalities and 53 serious injuries ( click here to view the OL news release).CN Police will be out in full force during Rail Safety Week, conducting safety initiatives at commuter stations, CN intermodal terminals and railway crossings in Canada and the United States. CN will visit commuter stations to target a larger audience of rail users, particularly parents who will be urged to pass on safety information to their children. For more information about the CN safety initiatives in your area, click here. OL and its partners created Rail Safety Week in 2003 to raise public awareness of the potential dangers at highway/railway crossings and from trespassing on railway property.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV