(Updates from 2:58 p.m. ET with closing information.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple ( AAPL ) was popping 3.52% to $431.91 as the smartphone giant reportedly gets ready for its first debt sale in nearly two decades, with Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank taking the lead in the deal.
In product news, the company is reportedly prepping plans to launch the next version of the iPhone for a summer release, according to AppleInsider and French Web site Nowhereelse.fr.
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who is as tied in with the Apple supply chain as anyone, says Apple may update its MacBook computers at its Worldwide Developer Conference event in June.Sina ( SINA ) was surging 12.23% to $56.45 after the Chinese Internet company announced that through a subsidiary, Alibaba has invested $586 million in Weibo, akin to Twitter, giving it an 18% stake in Sina's micro-blogging platform. Sina has given Alibaba the option to increase that stake to 30%. Google ( GOOG ) was up 2.53% to $821.67, with the Internet giant announcing it's rolling out its Google Now personal assistant service for the iPhone and iPad, available through the Google Search app for iOS. BlackBerry ( BBRY ) was rising 2.93% to $15.46 after RBC analyst Mark Sue upped his full-year estimates for the company and Jefferies analyst Peter Misek reiterated his "buy" rating on the stock on positive feedback on the launch of the Q10 with keyboard in the U.K. last week. U.K. department store Selfridges said that the Q10 launch is its "fastest-ever selling consumer electronics product." Microsoft (MSFT) was gaining 2.22% to $32.49 and IBM (IBM) was tacking on 2.37% to $198.92.
Closing prices: AAPL ended the day 3.1% higher at $430.12, SINA rose 9.4% to $55.03 and GOOG was up 2.2% to $819.06. BBRY rose 3.9% to $15.61 and MSFT ended the day 2.6% higher at $32.61. Written by Andrea Tse in New York >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV