NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- A leaked document reportedly meant for Japanese telecom employees shows the iPhone 5S launch in July.
Japanese telecom firm KDDI reportedly sent an internal document to employees to discuss staff and pricing information for the phone. This rumor should be taken with a grain of salt, as Apple CEO Tim Cook said on the company's recent earnings that Apple has some "really great stuff coming in the fall and across all of 2014," regarding hardware, software and services. A July release would step away from those comments, and could be part of the reason why Apple shares were moving higher Monday.
Shares of Apple were recently higher by 2.88% to 429.80.Apple Shells Out the Cash: Live Blog Recap It's been speculated that the iPhone 5S will incorporate some major changes to the hardware and software, as Apple seeks to take consumers away from Samsung in the smartphone market. On the earnings call, Cook said Samsung, married with Google (GOOG), was Apple's biggest competitor from a hardware standpoint. Rumors have been bandied about that Apple will incorporate technology from one of its more recent acquisitions, AuthenTec, incorporating finger-print technology into the phone. It's also expected that Apple will update the camera. I'm interested to see what Apple has in store for iOS 7, as Jony Ive, Apple's design chief guru, is now more actively involved in software development. Apple could not be immediately reached for comment for this story. Apple announced the first iPhone at its Worldwide Developers Conference, which is scheduled to take place this year in June. In recent years, Apple has moved the iPhone refresh away from WWDC, announcing the iPhone 5 in September of last year. It remains to be seen whether Apple would revert back to WWDC, but if that is the case, a July launch would make sense. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV