What this means is that the stock market as represented by the S&P 500 is bullish and continues to climb while the bond market is saying that money is migrating to the safety of bonds and so driving bond yields down and bond prices up. The bond market is saying that today's environment is a "flight to quality" environment and that "risk on" assets are simply too risky. Since the bond market is typically viewed as the "smarter" of the two markets, bond action could be bad news for stocks as we move into May.
The Week Ahead: What to ExpectMajor economic reports come our way this week as follows:
Tuesday: Case/Shiller Home Price Index, consumer confidence, Chicago PMI.
Wednesday: Federal Open Market Committee meeting announcement, April Institute of Supply Management, construction spending and ADP private employment.
Thursday: Weekly jobless claimsFriday: April Non-Farm Payrolls, Unemployment Rate, service sector ISM, factory orders.
Action PlanNever a dull moment as central banks around the world struggle to fight off deflation and depression and promote growth. We'll see more of the same this week with announcements from the European Central Bank and U.S. Federal Reserve. Will easy money be able, yet again, to offset terrible macro economic data? Stay tuned. Wall Street Sector Selector remains in "Red Flag" status, expecting a summer swan dive ahead. This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV