However, VIX is a fickle friend, and if equity markets begin to dump in a big way, VIX ETFs could generate significant profits, once again. Additionally, VIX ETFs face heavy resistance from their respective 200-day moving averages just above current levels. As VIX rises, stock markets fall and so all eyes will be watching VIX in the days ahead to see if this mean reverting indicator reverts to mean.
Chart courtesy of StockCharts.com
Bonds Flash a Warning; Stocks Say 'Take a Hike'
As everyone knows, the bond market and the stock market tend to move inversely to each other. As stocks rise, bond prices fall and bond yields rise.
As stock market prices fall, bond market prices rise and bond market yields falls.This is simply a reflection of the flow of capital between "risk on" and "risk off" assets and tends to be reliable over long time frames. However, in today's central bank influenced, Wizard of Oz economy, interesting divergences are now taking place between the bond market and the stock market. Chart courtesy of StockCharts.com In the chart above, it's easy to see how 10-year bond, iShares 7-10 Year Treasury Bond (IEF) and the S&P 500 tend to move in harmony. As the S&P 500 rises in price, bond yields tend to rise and as the S&P 500 falls in price, bond yields tend to fall and bond prices rise which is the natural flow of supply and demand in U.S. financial markets. Now, however, we see a sharp divergence between these two asset classes as the S&P 500 continues to climb while the yield on the 10-year Treasury bond has entered a steep decline.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV