Canada's Labour Minister Observes National Day Of Mourning
OAKVILLE, ON, April 28, 2013 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Canada's Labour Minister, participated in a commemorative ceremony held at the Centennial Square memorial to mark the National Day of Mourning, honouring workers who have been injured or killed by on-the-job accidents or suffer from work-related illnesses.
"Everyone deserves to come home safe and sound at the end of their workday," said Minister Raitt, at the event organized by the Oakville and District Labour Council. "Injuries, illnesses and deaths caused by work-related accidents deeply affect our families and communities. We must continue to strive for safer and healthier workplaces through education, cooperation and action."
In Canada, close to 1,000 workers die every year as a result of accidents in the workplace. The Government of Canada is committed to working closely with employers, employees and unions to prevent such work-related accidents, raise awareness of occupational hazards and educate workers on working safely.
The Government of Canada officially proclaimed the Workers Mourning Day Act in 1991, marking April 28th as the National Day of Mourning. The day is now observed in about 80 countries around the world. Commemorative ceremonies are marked in various ways: participants may wear ribbons and black armbands, place wreaths around memorials and observe moments of silence.The Labour Program is committed to promoting fair, safe and healthy workplaces. It also develops, administers and enforces workplace legislation and regulations, including the Canada Labour Code, which covers industrial relations, health and safety and employment standards, and the Employment Equity Act. These laws cover federally regulated workers and employers.
SOURCE Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV