"Expense control was a bit better than we had expected thanks to some early payoff from management's ongoing cost savings initiative (with more in the way to come)," wrote Credit Suisse analyst Howard Chen following Lazard's first quarter earnings release before the market opened Friday.
Shares opened lower on Friday but were up 3.77% to $34.41 shortly before noon.
Lazard earned adjusted net income of $37 million, or 28 cents per share, compared to $45 million, or 33 cents per share a year ago. Revenue in the financial advisory business, which advises companies on M&A, capital raising, restructuring and other activities fell 39% vs. a year ago, while asset management revenue rose by 14%KBW analyst Joel Jeffrey characterized management's view of the M&A market as more positive than that of Greenhill (GHL), but less so than Evercore (EVR) "with management citing a strong pipeline and major deal assignments but labeling the M&A environment as uneven," Jeffrey wrote. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV