CHARLOTTE, N.C., April 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- "Stakeholder-focused corporate governance leads to higher investor confidence, more stable earnings, and a better share price," Jim Rogers, chairman, president and CEO of Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK), recently told members of The Citadel Directors Institute.
Rogers was the keynote speaker at the Citadel School of Business Administration's conference to keep public company directors abreast of new and current issues on corporate governance.
His remarks on stakeholder-focused corporate governance were based on his experience serving as a corporate director on nine public companies, including Duke Energy and its predecessors. His recommendations included:
- Create Sustainable Stewardship: It can be challenging to find balance between shareholders and other stakeholders who sometimes have competing interests. These include customers, employees, suppliers, partners, regulators and communities. Rogers calls this balance "sustainable stewardship." Sustainable stewardship requires a corporate governance framework that enables a decision-making process to support such a balance.
- Be Thoughtfully Skeptical: The role of thoughtful directors is to work with managers to set a corporation on a course toward long-term value creation. Rogers said, "A diverse board of directors that is willing to be thoughtfully skeptical yet constructively supportive of management's business strategy is key to a corporation's success."
- Create an Environment of Engagement: As board chairman, Rogers sees his role as creating an environment of engagement among directors -- where openly challenging the prevailing point of view is not only welcomed, but encouraged. Rogers stated, "Only with an open and healthy exchange of views can the board reach the best decisions for its stakeholders." An independent and engaged board of directors can set the course for a corporation's long-term success.
- Talk to Others: The Duke Energy Board regularly invites competitors, partners, regulators and industry experts to speak at its meetings. Rogers indicated, "Bringing in external perspectives supports the Board's effort to fight complacency and not settle for conventional thinking."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV