- Create Sustainable Stewardship: It can be challenging to find balance between shareholders and other stakeholders who sometimes have competing interests. These include customers, employees, suppliers, partners, regulators and communities. Rogers calls this balance "sustainable stewardship." Sustainable stewardship requires a corporate governance framework that enables a decision-making process to support such a balance.
- Be Thoughtfully Skeptical: The role of thoughtful directors is to work with managers to set a corporation on a course toward long-term value creation. Rogers said, "A diverse board of directors that is willing to be thoughtfully skeptical yet constructively supportive of management's business strategy is key to a corporation's success."
- Create an Environment of Engagement: As board chairman, Rogers sees his role as creating an environment of engagement among directors -- where openly challenging the prevailing point of view is not only welcomed, but encouraged. Rogers stated, "Only with an open and healthy exchange of views can the board reach the best decisions for its stakeholders." An independent and engaged board of directors can set the course for a corporation's long-term success.
- Talk to Others: The Duke Energy Board regularly invites competitors, partners, regulators and industry experts to speak at its meetings. Rogers indicated, "Bringing in external perspectives supports the Board's effort to fight complacency and not settle for conventional thinking."
Duke Energy's Jim Rogers Points To Stakeholder-focused Corporate Governance As The Key To Creating 'sustainable Stewardship'
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts