Case Closed: Many Sandy Claims Not Eligible For Insurance Payment
The Consumer Federation of America and United Policyholders recommend consumers check to see if they have this clause in their home insurance policies and ask about it when they purchase home insurance. The advice is among several tips for homeowners the groups offered after Sandy.
"Unless you have these conversations with a broker and take good notes, you won't know what you have or what you need," Bach says.
Here's more on home insurance exclusions: what your policy won't cover.
Insurance company executives, meanwhile, admit the industry needs to step up education efforts."As an industry, we need to do a better job of educating our customers that flood is not a covered peril," said Liam McGee, CEO of The Hartford at the Property/Casualty Insurance Joint Industry Forum in New York in January.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV