CARLSBAD, Calif., April 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Life Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: LIFE) today announced that its Applied Biosystems® 7500 Fast Dx Real-Time PCR instrument is the sole platform cleared for use under the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) protocol created for emergency screenings of patients suspected of harbouring the Avian influenza (H7N9) virus, which to date has led to 23 deaths in China and Taiwan.
Cleared under the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Emergency Use Authorization (EUA), the 7500 Fast Dx Real-Time PCR instrument, in addition to Life's SuperScript III One-Step qRT-PCR reagent kit, is intended to be used with the CDC's human influenza virus assay to quickly monitor the spread of the pathogen and thwart a potential pandemic. To support this global need, Life Technologies is increasing production of its reagents and shipping them to labs around the world.
Life Technologies has a strong history of working with the CDC, the World Health Organization (WHO) and public health labs to combat virus outbreaks:
- 2009 – Life Technologies formed a special 24-hour-a-day task force to respond to global requests for assistance with the H1N1 outbreak.
- 2011 – Life Technologies developed a custom assay to accurately detect the E. coli bacterium that spread through Europe. The assay was developed after company researchers, using samples supplied by scientists at University Hospital Munster, completed the DNA sequencing and analysis work on the deadly E. coli strain using the Ion PGM™ Sequencer.
- 2012 – Life Technologies established the Global Influenza Network, a partnership of scientists at a number of the world's leading government public health organizations, veterinary agencies and research institutes who collaborate in an effort to increase the speed and efficiency of influenza monitoring and vaccine development.
- Today – Life Technologies' Ion PGM™ Sequencer is being used to characterize the genetic sequence of the virus and to determine if it can be transmitted from human to human.
"We have learned through our past experiences that a strong surveillance program is crucial in times like these," said Dan Didier, Public Health Director for Life Technologies. "We are working continually with our partners around the globe on improving our capabilities, particularly when it comes to developing rapid detection kits."Cases of the H7N9 virus have been reported out of China and Taiwan only. First cases of the human virus were confirmed in March with more than 100 cases. SuperScript III One-Step qRT-PCR kit is for research use only; not intended for diagnostic purposes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV