NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Are American consumers ready to take control of their health care decisions?
Health care reform virtually demands they do, but evidence is mounting that consumers are unprepared for the changes scheduled to hit the marketplace next year.
What the company found should be alarming to health care companies, government officials, and above all, U.S. health care customers.According to fresh data from the its Workforces Report, released on Thursday:
- More than half (54%) of workers would prefer not to have greater control over their insurance options.
- Only 23% of workers are saving money for potential increases in health care costs.
- 53% of workers fear they may not manage their coverage adequately, leaving their families less protected than they are now.
- 72% of the workforce hasn't even heard phrase "consumer-driven health care."
- 75% of workers said they think their employer would educate them about changes to their health care coverage as a result of reform, yet only 13% of employers said educating employees about health care reform was important to their organization
"It may be referred to as 'consumer-driven health care,' but in actuality, consumers aren't the ones driving these changes, so it's no surprise that many feel unprepared," said Audrey Boone Tillman, executive vice president of Corporate Services at Aflac. "The bottom line is if consumers aren't educated about the full scope of their options, they risk making costly mistakes without a financial back-up plan." The study notes that 89% of health care consumers opt for the same health care plans every year, but don't understand what's in those plans. Furthermore, 76% say they are largely unaware of how so-called health care exchanges -- which are the foundation of health car reform -- work.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV