NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Baidu (BIDU) was tumbling 5.78% to $87 per American depositary share in afterhours trading after the leading Chinese Internet search engine posted lower-than expected first-quarter results as it continues to be challenged by up-and-coming players in the mobile-phone space.
Still, Robin Li, the chairman and CEO of Baidu, said in a statement that the company's mobile offerings are making "exciting progress," with its flagship mobile-search product having now surpassed 100 million daily active users, which is more than a 25% increase from the end of the fourth quarter.
"We remain committed to investing aggressively, particularly in marketing and R&D," said Jennifer Li, Baidu's CFO. "By deploying resources in the most strategically important areas of our business, we're confident we can build exceptional long-term value for shareholders."
The company reported earnings per ADS of 95 cents and excluding share-based compensation expenses of $1.Revenue increased 40% to $961 million in the first quarter from a year ago. On average, analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting earnings per ADS of $1.03 on revenue of $969.27 million. Baidu reiterated second-quarter revenue expectations in the range of $1.187 billion to $1.216 billion, vs. the consensus target of slightly more than $1.2 billion. Follow @atwtse -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV