Adjusted net earnings and diluted earnings per share exclude share-based compensation expense, which reduced first quarter 2013 net earnings and diluted earnings per share by $6.9 million and $0.04, respectively; and reduced first quarter 2012 net earnings and diluted earnings per share by $5.5 million and $0.03, respectively.
Other 2013 First Quarter Highlights:
- First quarter cash collections of $784.0 million and operating cash flow of $213.6 million.
- First quarter free cash flow of $129.9 million. Free cash flow is a non-GAAP financial measure defined as GAAP cash flows from operating activities less capital purchases and capitalized software development costs. For more detail, please see the accompanying schedule, titled "Reconciliation of GAAP Results to Non-GAAP Results."
- First quarter days sales outstanding of 69 days, which is down from 76 days in the year-ago quarter.
- Total backlog of $7.58 billion, up 21 percent over the year-ago quarter. This was comprised of $6.83 billion of contract backlog and $747.9 million of support and maintenance backlog.
"We got off to a good start in 2013, with almost all key metrics above expected levels, including very strong bookings, earnings and cash flow," Neal Patterson, Cerner chairman, CEO, president and co-founder said. "We expect 2013 to be a very good year, as we have a significant pipeline of opportunities both with existing clients and prospective clients. In addition, we are continuing to invest heavily in research and development to widen our competitive advantages and position ourselves for sustained growth throughout this decade."
Future Period GuidanceCerner currently expects:
- Second quarter 2013 revenue between $705 million and $735 million.
- Full year 2013 revenue between $2.95 billion and $3.05 billion.
- Second quarter 2013 adjusted diluted earnings per share before share-based compensation expense between $0.66 and $0.68.
- Full year 2013 adjusted diluted earnings per share before share-based compensation expense between $2.78 and $2.83, up from a prior range of $2.75 to $2.82.
- Second quarter 2013 new business bookings between $825 million and $875 million.
- Share-based compensation expense to reduce diluted earnings per share by approximately $0.04 to $0.05 in the second quarter of 2013 and between $0.17 and $0.18 for the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV