This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

STRATTEC SECURITY CORPORATION Reports Fiscal 2013 Third Quarter Results

Gross profit margins were 17.7 percent in the current year quarter compared to 18.5 percent in the prior year quarter.  The reduction in gross profit margin in the current year quarter were impacted by a less favorable product sales mix, an unfavorable Mexico Peso to U.S. Dollar exchange rate affecting our operations in Mexico, and higher expense provision for our frozen defined benefit pension plan. These negative items were partially offset by the benefits of higher production volumes and a lower provision for bonuses earned under our incentive bonus plans.  

Normal operating expenses (excluding the $2.1 million settlement charge) as a percent of net sales in the current year quarter decreased to 10.7% from 12.3% in comparison to the prior year quarter. The major contributor to the decrease was a lower provision for our incentive bonuses.  

STRATTEC is a partner in VAST LLC, a global alliance of companies involved in the design and manufacture of automotive access products. As reported in our prior earnings releases, VAST's operations in China incurred start-up costs associated with a new product line. We anticipate these start-up costs and the resulting losses to continue over the remainder of the current fiscal year.

Included in Other (Expense) Income in the current year quarter compared to the prior year quarter were the following items (in thousands of dollars):
  March 31, April 1,
  2013 2012
Foreign Currency Transaction Loss ($987) ($698)
Net Realized and Unrealized Gain on Mexican Peso Option Contracts 77 1,126
Rabbi Trust Gain 103 161
Other 48 73
  ($759) $662

On April 5, 2013, the Company acquired 51% ownership in NextLock, LLC, a newly formed company which will introduce a new generation of biometric security products based upon the designs of Actuator Systems LLC, our partner and owner of the remaining 49% of NextLock. Frank Krejci, President & CEO commented: "We are excited that this investment will be part of our strategy to grow and diversify our technology, products and markets within the broad definition of Access System Technology, particularly focused on security and motion control." 

3 of 4

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AAPL $93.74 0.00%
FB $117.58 0.00%
GOOG $693.01 0.00%
TSLA $240.76 0.00%
YHOO $36.60 0.00%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,773.64 -57.12 -0.32%
S&P 500 2,065.30 -10.51 -0.51%
NASDAQ 4,775.3580 -29.9330 -0.62%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs