Bakker Schut Foundation's Adele Van Der Plas Urges Council Of Europe Committee Of Ministers To Answer Questions Regarding The Serious Violation Of The Lanzarote Convention By The Netherlands Completely And Swiftly
AMSTERDAM, April 25, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following the submission of "disappointing answers" to questions submitted by Council of Europe Minister Luca Volonte regarding a "serious violation of the Lanzarote Convention by the Netherlands" in the Joris Demmink pedophilia investigation, Adele van der Plas, Managing Director of the Bakker Schut Foundation and attorney for Turkish victims of Demmink's alleged pedophilia crimes, issued the following statement:
"Despite worldwide attention to the pedophilia scandal involving former Dutch Justice Ministry Secretary-General Joris Demmink and U.S. Congressional inquiries into the Dutch government's inadequate investigation into the alleged crimes, the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers has approached this embarrassment in a similar way as the Dutch government – by ignoring the pedophilia scandal and hoping that Demmink's victims will simply give up their fight for justice. The Committee of Ministers have, as Minister Luca Volonte has stated, 'evaded the question of their own opinion and just referred to the fact that the Dutch authorities themselves thought that they had properly investigated the case in question.' This is not sufficient. Joris Demmink's victims deserve answers. Dutch citizens who paid Mr. Demmink's salary during his alleged crimes deserve answers. And, quite frankly, anyone who has placed their trust into government in hopes that their elected leaders appoint moral officials to represent their country also deserves an answer. Despite Mr. Volonte's efforts and the Turkish government appointing a special prosecutor to investigate accusations of pedophilia during Joris Demmink's travels to Turkey, there are no indications that Demmink will face justice any time soon. I urge the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers to answer Mr. Volonte's latest written questions completely and swiftly, so Joris Demmink's victims are not victimized any further."
In Written question No. 631 to the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers, Mr. Luca Volonte, Italy, Group of the European People's Party, wrote "In the light of the serious accusations of the victims, that they were raped and sexually abused by [Joris Demmink] when they were only 12 and 14 years old, as well as regarding the Council of Europe Convention on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse (CETS no. 201, 'Lanzarote Convention'), which guarantees the protection of the rights and safety of victims of such child abuse and which tries to ensure this by obliging member States to avoid contact between the victims and perpetrators within court and law enforcements agency premises."
Mr. Volonte submitted to the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers, the following questions:
- Does the Committee of Ministers agree that with regard to these serious allegations, an investigation should have taken place without the accused staying in his position as the highest civil servant of the Department of Justice of the Netherlands, as happened in this case?
- Does the Committee of Ministers agree with the Government of the Netherlands, which considers that it has properly investigated the case in question?
- Is the Committee of Ministers prepared to ask the Dutch authorities to consider opening a full and really independent investigation, possibly with international experts?
- Is the Committee of Ministers wiling to ask the High Contracting Parties of the Lanzarote Convention to evaluate whether the Netherlands has implemented the convention in law and in practice?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV