DENVER, April 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) Space Systems Company campuses across the nation today opened their doors to more than 3,200 children aged six to 18 to introduce them to the wonders of science, physics and mathematics in the space industry through Young Minds at Work day. The annual event inspires children to consider pursuing science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) degrees by demonstrating applications in our everyday life.
"STEM education is critical to our nation's future and the global economy," said Richard Ambrose, executive vice president for Lockheed Martin's Space Systems Company. "Students exploring science, technology, engineering and math will be the next generation of innovators and leaders. Young Minds at Work is just one way that Lockheed Martin invests in our children by tapping their natural curiosities and problem-solving skills."
Lockheed Martin employees and contractors sponsored their children at company facilities across the nation. Highlights of the activities include:
- Mentoring by NASA astronaut Rex Walheim about careers in STEM; practicing docking a spacecraft with the International Space Station; testing space knowledge in the Cosmic Challenge Trivia Game; and launching test rockets – Denver, Colo.
- Flying an airplane in a simulator; playing with Frisbee-tossing robots; learning about orbital mechanics; and creating rockets – Sunnyvale, Calif.
- Hunting for a geocache treasure to understand global positioning systems and working with engineers on an antenna design activity – Newtown, Penn.
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company, a major operating unit of Lockheed Martin Corporation, designs and develops, tests, manufactures and operates a full spectrum of advanced-technology systems for national security and military, civil government and commercial customers. Chief products include human space flight systems; a full range of remote sensing, navigation, meteorological and communications satellites and instruments; space observatories and interplanetary spacecraft; laser radar; ballistic missiles; missile defense systems; and nanotechnology research and development.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV