Oil Rises Above $92 On US Unemployment Claims Data
By The Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Oil rose above $93 a barrel for the first time in two weeks Thursday, as the latest data on U.S. unemployment claims suggested job growth may pick up from last month's sluggish pace.
Benchmark oil for June delivery rose $2.21 to close at $93.64 on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Oil fell to a year low of $86.68 last week, but has since risen for six straight days, increasing $6.96, or 8 percent.
Thursday morning, the Labor Department said the number of Americans seeking unemployment benefits fell last week to a seasonally adjusted 339,000, the second-fewest in more than five years. The drop suggests that layoffs have declined, which is a positive sign for gasoline demand.At the pump, the average price for a gallon of gas slipped slightly to $3.51 a gallon. That's down 15 cents from a month ago and is 33 cents cheaper that at this time last year. Brent crude, which is used to price oil used by many U.S. refiners, rose $1.68 to $103.41 a barrel on the ICE futures exchange in London. In other energy futures trading on the Nymex: â¿¿ Gasoline rose 6 cents to $2.81 per gallon. â¿¿ Heating oil added 6 cents to $2.90 a gallon. â¿¿ Natural gas was flat at $4.17 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV