Whether T-Mobile and Sprint can win back customers from Verizon and AT&T through discounted iPhones and cheaply priced smartphone data plans in the wake of consolidation is a far more interesting story.
Sprint, for instance, saw its quarterly losses narrow more than analyst forecasts in first quarter earnings because a greater-than-forecast number of subscribers left the telecom in favor of service offerings from competitors. T-Mobile also has seen relentless U.S. market share losses, in recent years.
Sprint's prospective recapitalization in a merger with SoftBank could help the company complete a multi-billion 4G network expansion that finally could encourage subscribers to leave AT&T or Verizon. Meanwhile, a $25.5 billion proposal put forward by Dish Network could give Sprint billions in wireless spectrum assets and an innovative bundled offering of wireless, broadband and TV offerings.
T-Mobile recently launched an "anti-carrier" strategy to offer iPhone wireless plans without contracts that may ultimately save consumers up to $1000 from the two-year plans offered by Verizon and AT&T. Its solid network will also benefit from MetroPCS's spectrum and customer base.There are also risks Verizon overpays for full control of Verizon Wireless, or that it will cut a deal just as wireless margins peak. Bottom Line: While Vodafone's Verizon Wireless stake may fetch a record price tag, hedge fund investors are playing smaller consolidation among the industry's struggling third and fourth leading wireless players. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York. Follow @antoinegara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV