Mayo believes shareholders will increasingly push for restructuring at the big banks and that companies should consider doing so or else regulators will do it for them.
He says he has his hand on the trigger to break up Citigroup but is not ready to pull it yet given its recent progress. The analyst believes Bank of America (BAC) should be broken up. While JPMorgan Chase (JPM) has pointed to the benefits of its diversified model, he believes its asset management business, whose value is not reflected in the bank's stock price, might need to be spun off.
Wells Fargo (WFC), however, has "earned the right to stay at its size," he said.
-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York.>Contact by Email. Follow @shavenk
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV