GOLETA, Calif., April 25, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Community West Bancshares (Community West or the Company), (Nasdaq:CWBC), parent company of Community West Bank (Bank), today reported net income increased 33.0% to $1.1 million in the first quarter of 2013 (1Q13) compared to $819,000 in the first quarter a year ago (1Q12). Community West earned $2.3 million in fourth quarter of 2012 (4Q12).
"We were profitable for the third consecutive quarter and have worked diligently, doing what we set out to do, to improve the overall health of the Company," stated Martin E. Plourd, President and Chief Executive Officer. "Credit quality metrics improved substantially, with total nonaccrual loans at nearly half the levels that they were a year ago, and our capital ratios continue to improve. Now that profitability appears sustainable, we can sharpen our focus on responsible balance sheet growth."
1Q13 Financial Highlights
- Net income of $1.1 million.
- Earnings of $0.11 per diluted share.
- Net interest margin continued to be strong and was 4.78% in 1Q13, compared to 4.91% in 4Q12 and 4.48% in 1Q12.
- Nonaccrual loans declined 12.0% to $19.7 million at March 31, 2013, compared to $22.4 million at December 31, 2012 and $38.3 million at March 31, 2012.
- Net real estate owned (REO) and repossessed assets, after subtracting the USDA guarantee, totaled $1.9 million at March 31, 2013, the same as three months earlier. The net REO was $4.9 million at March 31, 2012.
- The total allowance for loan losses equaled 3.54% of total loans held for investment at March 31, 2013, compared to 3.66% at December 31, 2012 and 3.19% a year ago. The quantitative historical loss allocation portion of the allowance calculation showed some improvement during 1Q13.
- Community West Bank's capital ratios continue to strengthen - Total risk-based capital ratio was 15.63% and Tier 1 leverage ratio was 11.34% at March 31, 2013, an increase compared to a Total risk-based capital ratio of 15.27% and Tier 1 leverage ratio of 10.69% at December 31, 2012. The Bank's regulatory agreement requires that ratios of 12% and 9%, respectively, be maintained.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV