N.Y. Community Bancorp is a Feast or Famine
A Negative Take on the Stock
Citigroup analyst Josh Levin on Thursday cheerfully reiterated his "sell" rating for New York Community Bancorp, with a price target of $11, saying in a note to clients that "in the words of Mr. T, we predict pain."
"Our thesis remains that NYCB's dividend is not sustainable given the company's high payout ratio, weakening earnings profile, growing leverage and heightened regulatory scrutiny," Levin wrote, adding that "while NYCB may continue to look for ways to harvest non-recurring items to boost EPS, we view such activity as a bearish because it suggests that NYCB is running out of earnings levers to pull."
Levin estimates New York Community's earnings for all of 2013 will come in at 95 cents a share, meaning the company will dip into capital to cover the dividend. His 2014 EPS estimate is just 94 cents.
A Neutral View, With a "Safe Dividend"BMO Capital Markets analyst Peter Winter has a neutral rating on New York Community Bancorp, and said in a report on Thursday that "we believe the dividend is safe given the strong capital ratios and solid credit trends." New York Community reported a March 31 tangible equity ratio of 7.61%, compared to 7.65% the previous quarter and 7.64% a year earlier. Winter's target price for New York Community is $13, and he estimates the company will earn $1.04 a share this year, with EPS declining slightly in 2014, to $1.02. NYCB data by YCharts
Interested in more on New York Community Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV