NEW YORK, April 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fixed mortgage rates fell for the sixth straight week, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate retreating to a four month low of 3.57 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.31 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The news was even better on the average 15-year fixed mortgage, which set a new record low of 2.8 percent. The larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate held at 3.98 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were mostly lower, with the 5-year ARM settling at a new low of 2.65 percent, the 7-year ARM holding at 2.87 percent, and the 10-year ARM dipping to a three-month low of 3.21 percent.Mortgage rates continue to trend lower as uneven economic data has raised concerns about another economic slowdown. The accompanying stock market volatility has also been good for mortgage rates by increasing demand for both government- and mortgage-backed bonds, to which mortgage rates are closely related. The last time mortgage rates were above 5 percent was Apr. 2011. At the time, the average 30-year fixed rate was 5.07 percent, meaning a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,082.22. With the average rate currently at 3.57 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $905.92, a difference of $176 per month for anyone refinancing now. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 3.57% -- down from 3.61% last week (avg. points: 0.31)15-year fixed: 2.80% -- down from 2.85% last week (avg. points: 0.28)5/1 ARM: 2.65% -- down from 2.66% last week (avg. points: 0.26)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV