BOSTON (TheStreet) -- It's easy to find cars that are cheap and easy to find ones that are good, but here's a look at five 2013 models that are cheap and good at the same time.
"These are cars that aren't only great to own, but represent great values," says Jamie Page Deaton of U.S. News & World Report, which recently named 21 models as 2013's Best Cars for the Money.
Page Deaton and her colleagues compiled their list by analyzing some 200 of the industry's 2013 models for quality and price.
The magazine measured quality by looking at each vehicle's crash-test results, J.D. Power and Associates reliability data and reviews from Motor Trend and some 50 other top publications.Then U.S. News factored in price by using TrueCar.com estimates of what the average consumer pays to buy a given vehicle and cover five years of ownership costs such as gas and depreciation. Ford (F) did surprisingly well in the study, winning in six of 21 categories -- the most for any U.S. or foreign automaker. Page Deaton says that's because Ford impressed car reviewers with designs far better than the "plain-vanilla" looks that foreign brands such as Honda (HMC) and Toyota (TM) often favor. "Domestic automakers have had this rep for so long that they build subpar cars that aren't good values and aren't going to last, but we've found that reviewers don't think that way," she said. Read on to see U.S. News' best 2013s for the money in five of the most popular automotive segments. Prices listed refer to the average that TrueCar.com found U.S. consumers have paid for base versions of each model.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV