LAS VEGAS, April 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) has earned the Number One ranking on DiversityInc's "Top 10 Regional Companies" list for diversity best practices, according to DiversityInc, one of the nation's leading sources on diversity management. Additionally, the Company is one of the "Top 10 Companies for Latinos", says this benchmarking organization.
2013 marks the eighth consecutive year MGM Resorts has been recognized for its Diversity and Inclusion Initiative by DiversityInc, which ranks companies based on the results of an annual survey.
"On the heels of the demographically revealing 2012 presidential election, it is clear that U.S. companies are increasingly conscious of the importance of diversity," said Luke Visconti, CEO of DiversityInc. "We are very encouraged to see more companies applying for this distinction and embracing diversity more deeply than ever. We also note a continued positive correlation between achievement in diversity and overall positive stock performance."
DiversityInc's 300-field annual survey is divided into four equally weighted areas: CEO Commitment, Human Capital, Corporate and Organizational Communications, and Supplier Diversity. The survey's results are determined by statistical analysis and each company is vetted by DiversityInc staff. Of the 893 companies participating in this year's survey, MGM Resorts is the only Nevada-based business and only gaming company to earn an award distinction.In a separate competition, MGM Resorts placed in the Top 10 list of businesses participating in the Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility's Corporate Inclusion Index, which measures companies on four factors − Employment, Procurement, Philanthropy and Governance. It was MGM Resorts' first year participating, and MGM Resorts is the only Nevada-based business and the only gaming company to make the list. "As the gaming industry pioneer in Diversity and Inclusion, we are extremely proud to be honored this year by DiversityInc and the Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility. These recognitions inspire us to pursue greater innovations as we continue to foster diversity and inclusion at all levels of our Company and our operations," said Phyllis A. James, Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer of MGM Resorts International. "From the top of our company on down, we have made diversity an essential part of our corporate culture, and consider it a key driver of our business competitiveness." The MGM Resorts Diversity and Inclusion Initiative was voluntarily launched in 2000 – the first in the gaming and hospitality industry – and is a critical pillar of the Company's enterprise-wide social responsibility platform that includes environmental sustainability and community engagement programs. Highlights from the Diversity and Inclusion Initiative include:
- Approximately 64 percent of the Company's 61,000 employees are minorities. In the management ranks, about 43 percent of employees in the supervisory ranks are women, and 38 percent of employees in the supervisory ranks are minorities.
- In December 2012, MGM Resorts debuted "Inspiring Our World", creative diversity training which takes the form of a 90-minute musical production; created by MGM and performed by a cast of 70 employees. To date, more than 44,000 MGM employees in Las Vegas and Detroit have experienced the production.
- Since the creation of its Supplier and Construction Diversity programs in 2001, the Company has spent a cumulative total of more than $3 billion with minority-owned, women-owned, veteran-owned and disadvantaged enterprises, as well as businesses owned by disabled and lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) individuals.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts