ADVISORY, April 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Corporate earnings were in focus this past week, but global growth concerns also remained a topic. Some encouraging sell-side commentary on the US housing recovery by Barclays, upgrading the industry to positive helped homebuilders. The PHLX Housing Index (HGX) finished the period higher by 3.3%. The NASDAQ US 300 Index (NQUSL300) rose 4.8% for the week as large caps outperformed on earnings results.
"Energy and Materials stocks outperformed this week as a rebound in the commodity sell-off from last week and a perceived increase in risk appetite for US stocks propelled shares higher," said Dave Gedeon, Managing Director, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes.
|TOP WEEKLY INDEX MOVERS (+ / -- )|
|TOP 5 EQUITY INDEXES:||4/16 – 4/23|
|NASDAQ US 300 INDEX (NQUSL300)||+4.8%|
|NASDAQ BIOTECH INDEX (NBI)||+4.1%|
|PHILA HOUSING INDEX (HGX)||+3.3%|
|NASDAQ EM EUROPE INDEX (NQEMEU)||-2.3%|
|NASDAQ OMX US WATER INDEX (GRNWATUSL)||-1.5%|
|TOP 5 COMMODITY INDEXES:||4/16 – 4/23|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY SILVER INDEX ER (NQCISIER)||-3.4%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY INDUSTRIAL METALS INDEX ER (NQCIIMER)||-3.3%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CORN INDEX ER (NQCICER)||-2.7%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY NATURAL GAS INDEX ER (NQCINGER)||+2.2%|
|PHLX GOLD/SILVER SECTOR INDX (XAU)||-2.1%|
Other Notable Index Moves This Week
- US Equities might see green numbers over the next week, with Goldman Sachs upgrading equities to "overweight", while the firm remains "underweight" government bonds and cash over a three-month time horizon.
- As reported this morning, March US Durable Goods dropped 5.7%, their largest decline in seven months. The NASDAQ Developed Industrials Index (NQDM2000) might be in focus.
- The Markets will be looking for a positive GDP (survey: 1.3%) on Friday, giving the investment community more validation to the rising stock prices, and the improving wealth of Americans.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 email@example.com Chauntez Wilson Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5415 firstname.lastname@example.org Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV