NORTH HOLLYWOOD, Calif., April 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- IPC The Hospitalist Company, Inc. (Nasdaq:IPCM), a leading national hospitalist physician group practice, today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2013. Income from operations, net income and diluted earnings per share have all been adjusted to exclude the change in fair market value of contingent consideration.
First Quarter 2013 Highlights (comparisons are to first quarter 2012):
- Net revenue increased 18% to $153.1 million
- Patient encounters increased to an all-time high of 1,576,000, a 16% increase
- Adjusted income from operations increased 17% to $16.0 million
- Adjusted net income increased 15% to $9.8 million, or $0.57 adjusted diluted earnings per share
Adam D. Singer, M.D., Chief Executive Officer of IPC The Hospitalist Company, stated, "We achieved strong results for the quarter, including net revenue growth of 18%, same-market net revenue growth of 14%, and a corresponding growth in adjusted diluted earnings per share of 13%. We benefited from the acquisitions we completed in the second half of 2012, as well as the continued growth in both our acute and post-acute lines of business. As of quarter-end, we had 1,456 providers, an increase of 15% since the first quarter of the prior year."Dr. Singer added, "Our most recent results reflect a durable and proven growth strategy that attracts physicians and delivers ongoing value. We remain focused on continuing to implement our growth plan in 2013." 2013 First Quarter Patient encounters for the three months ended March 31, 2013 increased by 221,000, or 16.3%, to 1,576,000, compared with 1,355,000 for the same period in the prior year. Net revenue for the three months ended March 31, 2013 was $153.1 million, an increase of $23.3 million, or 18.0%, from $129.8 million for the same period in the prior year. Of this $23.3 million increase, 77% was attributable to same-market area growth, including tuck-in acquisitions and new hires, and 23% was attributable to revenue generated from operations in new markets. Same-market revenue increased 13.9%, same-market encounters increased 12.1% and same market patient revenue per encounter increased 1.9%. The 1.9% increase is largely due to a combination of Medicare fee schedule rate increases and Medicaid parity. Medicaid parity represents an increase in Medicaid payments up to Medicare reimbursement levels for 2013 and 2014 in accordance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, as amended.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV