BC-Business News Digest
â¿¿ CHEVROLET SPARK-ELECTRIC RANGE â¿¿ General Motors says the battery-powered version of its Chevrolet Spark mini-car can travel up to 82 miles on a single charge, putting it among the leaders in mass-market electric vehicles sold in the U.S. AP photo.
DETROIT â¿¿ The head of Italian automaker Fiat is considering a plan to hold a public stock offering after the company buys 100 percent of Chrysler, according to a person briefed on the matter. The plan to sell shares of a combined company is among several options being evaluated by Sergio Marchionne, who serves as CEO of both automakers, said the person, who didn't want to be identified because no decision has been made. Fiat now owns 58.5 percent of Chrysler, and it's trying to buy the remaining 41.5 percent from a health care trust fund for union retirees. By Tom Krisher and Colleen Barry.JAPAN-TOYOTA TOKYO â¿¿ Toyota held onto its status as the world's top-selling automaker in the first quarter of this year, although the three-way race with General Motors and Volkswagen is proving tight, as its sales fall in China and Japan. Toyota Motor Corp. reported it sold 2.43 million vehicles during the January-March period, outpacing U.S. automaker General Motors Co. at 2.36 million vehicles and Volkswagen AG of Germany at 2.27 million vehicles. By Business Writer Yuri Kageyama. AP photos. FISKER AUTOMOTIVE WASHINGTON â¿¿ Newly released documents show that the Obama administration was warned as early as 2010 that electric car maker Fisker Automotive Inc. was not meeting milestones set up for a half-billion-dollar government loan â¿¿ nearly a year before U.S. officials froze the loan after questions were raised about the company's statements. By Matthew Daly. AP photo. GERMANY-EARNS-DAIMLER FRANKFURT, Germany â¿¿ Automaker Daimler AG says profits sagged 60 percent in the first quarter, hurt by weak demand for cars in recession-hit Europe.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV