BC-Business News Digest
WASHINGTON â¿¿ The Wall Street meltdown of 2008 and the ensuing recession did little to improve the economic illiteracy of high school seniors, according to a new Education Department report. Students' scores changed little between 2006 and 2012, suggesting that heightened public discussion, millions of jobs lost, and homes foreclosures didn't translate to higher academic achievement. By Philip Elliott.
AP photo.With: â¿¿NATION AT RISK â¿¿ The warnings about U.S. education issued 30 years ago in the Reagan administration's "Nation at Risk" report still reverberate today. â¿¿AGING AMERICA-LONG TERM CARE â¿¿ Americans underestimate their chances of needing long-term care as they get older â¿¿ and are taking few steps to get ready, according to a poll by the AP-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. AP photos. SMALL BUSINESS: SMALLBIZ-SMALL TALK NEW YORK â¿¿ Crowdfunding has been touted as a windfall for small businesses hoping to raise money. But this online method of soliciting money from investors may be more of a bust for many small business owners. People involved in venture funding say entrepreneurs may find that investors aren't interested if their companies don't have a good track record or the promise of a good return. The Securities and Exchange Commission is still writing rules to govern crowdfunding. In the meantime, experts say, they shouldn't get their hopes too high. By Joyce M. Rosenberg. AP photo. â¿¿ SMALLBIZ-MINIMUM WAGE â¿¿ Small-business owners support raising the federal minimum wage because they believe it will help the economy and, in turn, enable small companies to hire more workers. AUTOS: EARNS-FORD DEARBORN, Mich. â¿¿ Ford Motor Co. reports a better-than-expected $1.6 billion profit in the first quarter as growing demand in the U.S. and China for its new vehicles helped overcome steep losses in Europe and South America. By Auto Writer Dee-Ann Durbin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV