NORWALK, Conn., April 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Priceline.com (Nasdaq: PCLN) said today that June and August will be the most affordable months for domestic air travel this summer. Travelers planning international trips will find their best fares in August. The data is based on a 30-day sampling of published-price summer airline tickets booked through priceline.com.
The average domestic airfare for June travel is $375, which is 1.4% higher than a year ago. August's average domestic airfare is $377, or 1.5% above last year. July flyers will pay about the same as last year, with an average domestic airfare of $388.
For international flights originating in the U.S., the average airfare for August is $883, which is 1.8% higher than last year. The average international airfare for July is $929, or 3.9% above last year. And the average international airfare for June is $971, or 4.3% higher than last year.
"The fact that there hasn't been much upward movement in domestic airfares for this summer is good news for travelers," said priceline.com's Travel Ekspert Brian Ek. "Internationally, tourists can keep costs in check by traveling in August, but they'll have lots of company, as that's when Europeans traditionally take summer holiday."Ek also had some additional tips to help summer travelers find cheaper airfare and keep travel costs down after the airfare is booked:
- Don't be afraid to mix things up. If that first search doesn't yield an affordable fare, try picking a few different dates for potentially better results. Also, look for early morning or late evening flight times that tend to be less expensive. Sometimes, flying out on one airline and back on another will result in a cheaper fare than flying round-trip on a single airline.
- Try Name Your Own Price®. Even for the peak summer season, priceline.com has tickets available at savings of up to 50% off published fares. With Name Your Own Price® tickets, travelers can begin their trips anytime between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. and there may be up to one connection each way. Visit http://www.priceline.com/flights/ and click on the link to use the service.
- Pack as lightly as possible, then weigh and measure all baggage. Some airlines charge up to $30 or more for a checked bag and $40 or more for an overweight/oversize bag – and that's each way. Check your airline's maximum requirements for checked and carry-on bags to make sure you won't incur extra fees.
- Need a rental car? Bundle it into your airfare. Priceline.com's airline ticketing service lets passengers add a rental car to their trip, often at savings of up to 40% over published rental car rates. Watch for the special rental car offers when booking your airfare. Or book a car separately at http://www.priceline.com/rentalcars/.
- Use Express Deals(sm) for discount hotel rooms. Express Deals is the no-bid priceline.com hotel service created especially for families and travelers who need specific amenities along with a pre-negotiated priceline.com discount of up to 45% over published hotel rates. Customers can choose hotel deals that guarantee specific amenities, including a pool, gym, on-site restaurant, free breakfast, free parking, pet friendly, and even a particular bedding type. After booking at the discounted price, the name of the specific hotel is revealed. Check http://www.priceline.com/hotels/ for more details.