MF Global Trustee Freeh Sues Corzine
Freeh's report was the result of an investigation based on interviews with former employees and board members of the brokerage firm, as well as company documents.
Calls to Freeh and Corzine representatives were not immediately returned Tuesday.
Freeh's dispatch was the third report blaming Corzine and his team for MF Global Holdings' unraveling.
James Giddens, MF Global Inc.'s Securities Investor Protection Act trustee, and a U.S. House subcommittee last year issued reports with similar findings. Giddens concluded there might be "valid claims against individuals and entities."He later agreed to assign to customer class-action plaintiffs the estate's claims against former MF Global officers, directors and employees. Recoveries in the class action would be distributed through the SIPA case. MF Global Holdings, a provider of brokerage services for commodities and listed derivatives, filed for Chapter 11 with affiliate MF Global Finance USA on Oct. 31, 2011. The Securities Investor Protection Corp. initiated a liquidation of MF Global Inc., the debtor's U.S.-regulated broker-dealer subsidiary, the same day. In November 2011, Freeh, a former FBI director and federal judge, was appointed as Chapter 11 trustee to MF Global Holdings. Judge Martin Glenn of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York in Manhattan on April 5 signed an order confirming a liquidation plan for MF Global Holdings proposed by Freeh and a creditor group. Freeh and creditors led by Silver Point Capital Fund LP, Knighthead Master Fund LP and Cyrus Capital Partners LP calculated the assets of nonbankrupt unit MF Global Inc. -- valued between $6.86 billion and $6.98 billion -- would likely allow for the payment of $6.86 billion in customer claims, with anything possible from a shortfall of $6 million to a surplus of $120 million. Written by Kelsey Butler in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV