CAMPBELL, Calif., April 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Society for Information Display (SID), the leading global organization dedicated to the advancement of electronic display technology, today announced the 2013 Honors and Awards recipients for exceptional contributions to the field of information display. Each year, SID recognizes individuals that have played a critical role in improving the display industry. This year's winners span various display technologies, ranging from GaN-based semiconductors to PDPs, and will be honored at an awards banquet taking place the evening of May 20 during Display Week ( May 19-24, 2013) at the Vancouver Convention Center, Vancouver, British Columbia.
According to SID's president,
Brian Berkeley, "The distinguished individuals SID is recognizing with this year's Honors and Awards have made significant advancements in the field of information display. It's not every day that someone is able to increase OLED efficiency by a factor of four or contribute to technology that has fundamentally changed devices ranging from traffic signals to cell phones. Each individual being recognized has made a true impact in the world of information display."
2013 SID Honors and Awards Recipients
- The Karl Ferdinand Braun Prize is presented for an outstanding technical achievement in, or contribution to, display technology. The 2013 recognition is awarded to Dr. Isamu Akasaki , a professor at Meijo University, for his seminal contributions to the development of high-quality single-crystal GaN-based semiconductors and their PN-junction blue LEDs and lasers.
- The Jan Rajchman Prize is presented for an outstanding scientific or technical achievement in, or contribution to, research on flat-panel displays. Dr. Marc Baldo , SID member and professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is receiving this award for his outstanding contributions to the discovery of phosphorescent-OLED devices.
- The Slottow-Owaki Prize is awarded for outstanding contributions to the education and training of students and professionals in the field of information displays. This year, the award recipient is Dr. Hoi-Sing Kwok , SID fellow and professor at Hong Kong University, for providing education and training in display technology to many students and professionals in Asia through the creation of a display research center at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- The Lewis & Beatrice Winner Award for Distinguished Service is awarded to a Society member for exceptional and sustained service to SID. Dr. Shigeo Mikoshiba , SID life fellow, past Jan Rajchman Prize winner, and professor emeritus at the University of Electro-Communications in Tokyo, Japan, has won this award for his sustained exceptional contributions to SID over the last 30 years.
The SID Fellow Awards honor individuals who have made a widely recognized and significant contribution to the field of information display. Recipients of the 2013 Fellow Awards are:
- Dr. Baoping Wang
- Dr. Gopalan (Raj) Rajeswaran
- Dr. Hiroyuki Mori
- Dr. Kalil Kalantar
- Mr. Takatoshi Tsujimura
SID is also honoring members of the technical, scientific and business community with Special Recognition Awards for their valued contributions to the information-display field. This year's Special Recognition Awards acknowledge the following individuals:
- Dr. Hidefumi Yoshida
- Dr. In- Byeong Kang
- Mr. Isao Kawahara
- Mr. Keiji Ishii
- Dr. Qun (Frank) Yan
- Mr. Ryuichi Murai
- Mr. Takehiro Zukawa